knitxcore.: Sleep-in Sundays...

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sleep-in Sundays...


I have absolutely nothing to do today!!! It's amazing :-) I'll probably do some reading ( I've been reading How to Breathe Under Water), and knit a dishcloth. I really need to catch up on that KAL! Speaking of reading, I got Issue #5 of Croq the other day. There's a great article about why buying local always trumps organic. I never really thought about it, buying organic things most of the time wasn't really helping the enviroment as much I had previously thought. It makes sense to me now, that if an apple grown in washington state has to be sent by plane or truck to new jersey the amount of pollution and waste of gas outweighs any good that you think you're doing! Also, you always pay more for organic produce, when in fact most small farmers have much more stringent processes than the organic acts that most commercial farms stick to. I, for one, will be trying to make a conscious effort to buy more local produce.

I bought this amazingly cool yarn from Hobbledehoy's Etsy shop today. I've had it bookmarked for sometime and finally gave in to temptation. Her description: ""Sporezilla" is one of my wackiest yarns. It is a blend of recycled wools plied with puffball pom pom novelty thread. This yarn totals 65 yards in length, and would be plenty for a light crochet or knit hat or very unique fingerless gloves." I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, so if any of you have a fun idea, please share :-)


I'm going to make Baked Rigatoni in Bechamel Sauce from Everyday Italian (I have terrible cookbook fetish, but we'll save that for another day), tonight for dinner. It's been awhile since I've made a nice meal for Dave and I. We're always on the go, so I never really get the chance to cook anything that actually tastes good. So, I better get moving...

9 comments:

sko_G knits said...

that yarn is really fun. would you want to make something for yourself with it? you can do a really skinny scarf.....like a tubular one that is maybe1.5" in diameter or somethng. or....coasters!! that would be cute and funky.

i like the new look of your blog, btw. =)

Dave said...

Wow. That yarn is, umm, interesting. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you create with it :-)

Anonymous said...

Do you ever just buy cookbooks for the pure joy of reading them? I sometimes have to remind myself that I can make the dishes, too, and not just read about them and admire the pictures.

Charles said...

Thank you for your comment!!! Your sooo0000 kind!!!Great guy!!

I Like the new blog too!!

WOW~~~ I love that yarn!!
You should try to knit "Dream Swatch" It will be great for your friend!!! CHECK this out!!!

For pattern go to:
www.thegarterbelt.com/wb_dreamswatch.html

Jeanne said...

Great yarn - very different. Can't wait to see what you make with it. Like the new blog!

Wilma Fingerdu said...

tastey yarnage

pins&needles said...

That yarn should be called "cesspool", which would make it more attractive to me. I don't know why. I would make the ugliest stuff with it or just show it off to people. All my friends would agree with me about it. Coasters would be pretty cool with it if it had that rubberish lining on the bottom.

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for adding a link to my blog off of yours! I have returned the favor.

Obsidian Kitten said...

how about a basket?
for your cookies.

please send rigatoni.

i will send fresh eggs.
i don't feed my hens "organic" feed per se, but they get very healthy feed and they sure run around a heckuva lot more than "free range" birds do.

did you know i read that to be call birds "free range" the chicken-growers only have to give the birds a little open door to a dirt yard, and that most of those birds never even go outside? =( poor birds.

i even pet my birds. and they get lots of treats. like apples and zucchini and corn and stuff. chickens are really cool.