knitxcore.: G is for GroW!!!!!

Sunday, April 13, 2008

G is for GroW!!!!!

g is for grow

You may remember last years garden, and that even though I had all the basil anyone could ask for I couldn't get a damn tomato to grow???? Yeah, that garden.
Instead of getting discouraged and throwing in the towel, I've decided to give this whole "growing food" thing another shot. Inspired by Jana's
recession garden, I lurked a few gardening messageboards, I found what could be a perfect plant fot my tiny shady deck.
Tom Thumb Peas!!!!! (even their name is cute!) Apparently, it is a quite rare heirloom variety dating back to the 1800's. I had quite a hard time actually getting the seeds, though. I ordered from one website and they had sold out, others were in the UK and Canada and the shipping wasn't worth the cost of the seeds. I finally found some @
Trade Winds Fruit. They sprung up pretty quickly considering I didn't use an inoculant or even bother to freeze the seeds first. The lil' seedlings need to make it a few more days on the kitchen table before I'm comfortable putting them outside in their pots.

I still haven't made my mom a gift, it's obviously to late to knit anything fancy and I couldn't think of anyhing to sew :-( If anyone has any good ideas, lemme know? I have 10 days left and she really likes handmade gifts. If it gets down to the wire, I'm sure I could find something on Etsy.

I finished something for the shop!!!!! I know it's been empty for a while, but I have a plan and hopefully this time I can fill it up and keep it full. You all will be the first to know when it's ready :-)

---KatenaShcOre---

Kate Nash - Mouthwash




<3
knitxcore.

12 comments:

Emma said...

Hee! So adorable. And a wee little owl to look over them all. Awwwwww.

Matt....... said...

Sugar snap peas are a regular garden staple everyyear for us, and as for tomatos, I quit trying from seeds for the same reason...just get some already started ones from a good garden center. Don't give up!

Wilma Fingerdu said...

YAY for gardens...

nuttnbunny said...

Sometimes I save some seeds to chuck straight into the garden dirt as a contingecy if my "started" seeds punk out.

Hobocamp Crafts said...

good luck w/ the new garden. I love the little owl and your bear-kid knitting illustration at the top- super cute!!!

Crochet Goddess said...

It looks like you have a great start to your garden. What kind of tomato are you growing in your pots? I tried a patio tomato a couple of years ago and it did very well small tomatos but very good taste. I need to plant my seeds and get them start I hope I have not waited to late. I brought seeds from www.seedsavers.org

Calling on Kahlo said...

Thank you for sharing, I think a recession garden is in order. Our basil grew out of control as well, but tasted oh so yummy. We also had good luck with rosemary.

I may try out this vegetable garden idea. We are determined to do our own compost by the end of this year.

Jana said...

Yay! Forget about 'the man' and his economy! We can grow our own! I have some peas I started outside but they are going very, very slowly so far, yours seem to be doing better. Also my basil looked very sad this morning, I might have the opposite of what your garden was last year going. And today is my mom's birthday, I didn't have anything handmade either, so in addition to some other stuff I bought her a pretty planter and put one of my tomato seedlings in it. It's kinda handmade.

Anonymous said...

Your Tom Thumb Peas look like they have a vigilant guardian. As for your mom's present...perhaps a bag? A comfy cushion? Hmm..

Crafty Andy said...

Congratulations onyour Garden. Nothing like veggies from your own place!

Ken said...

Thanks for the heads up on both Au Revoir Simone and Kate Nash. I ended up getting them both shortly after watching their videos linked on your website. Awesome!

Stela said...

good thing you decided to give gardening another shot!! give us an update on it soon!