knitxcore.: "Vintage" Reed Diffuser: A Tutorial.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

"Vintage" Reed Diffuser: A Tutorial.

reed diffuser 2

We have a ton of reed diffusers all over the house. Every time Pier 1 marks them down we leave with BAGS full. It's not that I don't like them, I do. Really. They smell nice, and they aren't as scary as those plug-in apparatuses.

This specific one have been sitting in the bathroom looking modern and sleek for far too long, so at 11:30 last night I decided to glue some crap to it. You can do the same thing, by following my shoddy directions.

reed diffuser 3

Things You'll Need:
-A boring Reed Diffuser
-Hand-Me-Down Fabric
-Sun-Faded Vintage Rick-Rack
-Weird Paper Mushrooms (also from the clearance rack at Pier 1)

1. Cut the fabric and rick-rack. Do it hastily. Don't measure anything. You're better than that, right?
2. Glue the rick-rack to the fabric in a haphazard manner. Make sure to get glue-y spiderwebs all over your project. DO NOT PULL THEM OFF. They are rilly decorative!
3. Hot glue the edge of the fabric and smoosh it on the glass. Pull it off. Repeat. Eventually it will look acceptable. You'll probably burn your fingers.
4. Pull the fabric taught around the vessel. MORE HOT GLUE. MORE SMOOSHING. It doesn't matter what the back looks like, does it?
5. Glue some rick-rack to the bottle neck to make it look more "fancy".
6. Jam the paper mushrooms in the top and go show your significant other. Ask them if the like it. Regardless of the actual answer, pout and question their "support" of your hobbies.
7. Take pictures and post them on the internet. Wait for compliments.

reed diffuser 1

You're finished. Have a bottle glass of wine and go to bed.

<3
Robbie.

Coming Up...

-The Never-Ending Braided Rug.
-A Work on Hiatus: The Bathroom.
-The First Roll of Film From My Diana Mini
-Acrylic Stash-busting + Vintage Craft: God's Eye

...and much more




8 comments:

Jaqi Moon said...

I needed this laugh. I just cleaned thewholehouse, yes, one word, thewholehouse. Now I need a bottle and rick-rack....

Stela said...

that is the coolest reed diffuser I've ever seen.
Your blog post always crack me up!

Colby Kern said...

Well, isn't that cute. I have never used a reed diffuser in my house. I can never find a scent that is just right. I usually like candles a lot, but the new building we are moving into doesn't allow them...so perhaps this is the way to go!

Lilea said...

You are a master of vintage crafts! I absolutely love it!

Anonymous said...

I've never used a diffuser, but I think I might try! This is a great idea!

Anastasia said...

YEAH HOT GLUE STIRNG EVERYWHERE!! Also is rick-rack the name? I've never been able to refer to that stuff, I just avoid it in conversation (probably a good thing for me)

Jessi said...

well done ..gluing crap on things is always a good idea!

Meream said...

Haha you're hilarious! And I feel like your house is the kind I want to visit because it has the most interesting vintage/DIY stuff :)